What are the causes of white lips? The lips are one of the defining features of all of us, and people’s lips can vary in color and appearance depending on many factors such as natural skin tone, levels of sun exposure, and general health. Lip discoloration may also result from sun damage, nutritional deficiencies, or a certain medical condition. Whitening of the lips can be unpleasant and uncomfortable for you. But what if it happened to your newborn baby? Should you worry? And what should you do? In this article, we discuss the causes of white lips and treatment methods, so keep reading.
What are the causes of white lips?
White or pale lips are often accompanied by a general pallor that affects the face, the lining of the eyes, the inside of the mouth, and the nails. This usually occurs in adults because:
- Anemia that causes white lips or severe pallor and requires immediate medical attention, and may result from a diet low in iron, vitamin B12, or folic acid.
- Blood loss from heavy menstruation in women.
- Lack of a nutrient, and this may be the reason in most cases, so there is no need to worry.
- The existence of a specific medical condition that requires examination by a specialized doctor to conduct the necessary analyzes.
- Taking certain medications, one of the side effects of which is causing whiteness in the lips.
Read more: 6 steps to study success
Read more: How to succeed in the personal interview 2023
Cause of white lips in infants
After we mentioned the reasons for your white lips, you should now know the reasons for their whiteness in your infant. When you notice that your newborn’s lips are white and have some minor cracks, the cause may be a variety of problems, which we mention as follows:
- This may happen due to the habit of licking the lips, or your child may suck his fingers and lips.
- It may be due to a change in weather, as drought and dry weather are common causes.
- It may be because your baby has been exposed to drafts for a long time, as excessive exposure to wind can cause moisture loss in the lips.
White lips treatment
Treatment methods for lip discoloration vary depending on the causes of the whiteness of the lips. For example, if the cause is an element deficiency, the solution will be to take supplements and drink plenty of water.
While those who suffer from a change in the color of the lips as a result of taking a certain medication can talk to their doctor about alternative treatment options, such as: laser treatment, chemical peels, and medical ointments. The following natural compounds may help reduce lip discoloration:
- Cactus gel.
- raspberry extract.
- Green tea extract.
- vitamin C”.
Treatment of white lips in infants
The best thing you can do naturally to treat your newborn’s dry lips is to apply some breast milk with your fingers. But don’t rub the milk, and you should leave the area slightly damp. Breast milk heals the skin and protects your baby from bacteria.
You can also use natural lip balm or nipple cream on your newborn’s lips to keep his lips moisturized, or you can use coconut oil, which contains lauric acid, a substance also found in breast milk.